Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Something new, but made with vintage materials

Ok, so I've been absent awhile from here and my shop. Well, here is why. I've been experimenting with so many materials and techniques and I've come up with these!

These pendants are made with non-toxic glue and acid-free sealers. They are original vintage illustrations, ooak pendants and digital vintage illustrations printed on high quality paper and hand colored by me.

They are sealed (like I said with non toxics - yay!) under vintage acrylic lenses and set inside oxidized silver plated (over brass) and oxidized brass plated (over brass) laced edge settings.

Currently I have 18 x 13mm and 18 round.

My goals in this:
To use vintage pieces - especially vintage plastic to reuse something still incredibly usable.
To create something unique and special that is safe for my family and the environment. (hence the non-toxics)

Original vintage illustrations are directly from wonderful books I find at antique stores. No copying, so: one - of - a - kind.
The other vintage illustrations are printed on photo paper and colored by me.

To me using vintage components means buying less mass produced supplies and reusing something that still has years of potential. Some of these bird illustrations are taken from a book of small collector cards. Who collected them? Who searched out the birds and trees and flipped through the pages admiring their collection? You'll only know it was once loved and cherished by someone from another time.

Each necklace will have certain distinguishing features. Some may have tiny nicks on the lens or marks on the paper. These all add to the character of the piece.

Since all papers are coated with non-toxic, acid free sealers they become water resistant. But, not water proof. Resin is lovely and permanent, but super toxic during application. The acrylic sealers I use will make these pendants last a long time with the proper care.
Just don't jump in the shower or hot tub with one on.

Look for them soon in my shop! I hope within a couple of days. April 23, 24 or 25...

2 comments:

vintagechica said...

Love, the hearing thoughts behind the pieces I bought. Im wearing my little chickadee right as I type this.

Thank you!

Eva said...

I'm so glad you like yours! :) I like to know all these little birds find their way to new homes around the world.